Monday, August 22, 2005

Gun Questions Update

Thanks for all your views.

I stopped by one of our local pawnshops that had a large firearms sign outside. I went inside and saw none. I looked around, still nothing. The guy at the counter asked me what I wanted and I told him. "Oh, we don't sell guns here, in fact no pawn shop here does." Then WTHeck do they have that large sign for?! So pawn shop purchases are out. I'll just have to buy used or new.

I'm leaning towards buying a bore snake and a cleaning kit. I'll take the snake out shooting and leave the kit for thorough cleaning at home. I've read that many country raised people used boiling water to clean their rifles during WWI and II, that's why I wondered if it worked. I've also read that many shooters do use their dishwasher... only if the wife's not home.
Here's my dilemma, buy a 22 just to plink and to shoot now and cheaply or get something I might really prefer, such as a Lee-Enfield. I can either buy a 22 and have cheap ammo but small bang, or get the harder to find, more expensive 303 British with the bigger bang. Heh, I can actually get the Enfield cheaper than a 22 it seems. How long before my ammo costs negate the savings cost of the Enfield? There's something about these old warhorses that are attractive to me.
Thanks again for my reader's responses.

3 comments:

mauser*girl said...

Buying your first weapon is kind of hard because you don't want to be stuck with something you don't like.

The best place to purchase is a good reputable gun dealer in your area. Go into a couple and see what they have. Many sell used weapons on comission as well.

If the gun shop is any decent, the staff will be able to help you with any questions you have and can make recommendations as well to help you find the right weapon. Our gun store here has a range behind it, and they will let you test-fire before you buy. Few do that, but it's worth asking.

Besides, if you don't like it, you can always go sell it again.

As far as cost is concerned, an Enfield is pretty cheap. I'm no big fan of the Enfield, but if that's the weapon you like, that's the weapon you should get. And honestly, I don't see anyone burning through 300 rounds in one day, unless you spend all day at the range. If you take it to the range once a month, the cost will not kill you, even if the Enfield rounds are more expensive than .22s.

There are also plenty of places to buy cheap ammo, such as Sportsmans Guide (www.sportsmansguide.com), rather than buying them at the range (unless your range requires that you use their range ammo).

If you want cheap, get an M1 Carbine. It may be more expensive to buy the carbine (about $600), but you can order 1000 rounds of the .30 cal ammo for it for about $150. That's A LOT of rounds for the money. ;)

GUYK said...

Keep another thing in mind about big bore rifles. Unless you get an expensive make, and I don't mean A winchester or Remington, but one that is actuially made for a lot of shooting you will soon shoot the riflings out. A big bore rifle is made to hunt-not target shoot. The average one will go to the range to get sighted in after bore sighting the scope. Then maybe fired ten times if that until next season when it back to the range again. When I worked a military range I saw a lot of rifles that were flat wore out and no way in hell could you get a 4" three shot group from even a bench rest.

For target shooting and a lot of it a .22 is great. Ammo is cheap, you can perfect your aim-breathing and sighting is no different from a big bore- and have a lot of fun with varments once you get pretty good freehand at 30 or 40 yards.

But, there are a lot of big bores to choose from. I have a Remington 7mm mag that is a hard shooting cannon that I will probably never use again but refuse to sell. Also have a 30-30 in a Marlin lever that is a sweet shooting brush gun but not worth much for over a 150 yards-too much drop. If I was going to buy a large bore now I would go back to the old 30.06 because of its versitility. You can load it with everything from 110 grain-or even 90 lead to for varments to as much as 300 grain for some big knockdown power. Factory ammo is always easy to find even if it is a little pricy.

Here I go on a ramble again. Appreciate the comments on my site.

mauser*girl said...

I keep meaning to add this and forgetting again. ^^ I was going to say that I prefer using Hoppe's 9 solvents and cleaners for my guns. Most places, including Sports Authority, carry their products.