Thursday, March 30, 2006

The Swiss K31 Is An Accurate Weapon...

I'm just a lousy shot! This is my first attempt to shoot any milsurp. I purchased a box of GP11 surplus at a recent gun show. I paid $24/60. This seems comparable to what I would pay online. I didn't have to pay shipping, but I paid a parking and entrance fee which would probably make it the same price. It depends on the number of packages I want to buy.


Here's my result:

One shot in the black, the rest scattered and 14 complete misses. We didn't have anything to measure distance as we were shooting in the desert, so we marked off 100 paces and set up the target. I purchased a Pachmayr recoil pad, as I had fired a few rounds of my 30-06 Savage at an earlier session and bruised myself. I guess I expected the recoil to be as strong or stronger than the hunting rifle, but I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of pain. Even the next day I felt nothing.

Twelve shots were from offhand standing and twelve were kneeling. Even at approximately 100 yards I had a hard time seeing the bullseye. It was a smallbore target, as that's all I had available at the time, but it's still a 100 yard target. I set the sight at 100 yards and sat the bull on top of the front post. It appears the standing shots were the high, right hits and kneeling were the low, left. I tried to just target the black after a few shots, but no improvement. This really drives home the idea that it takes a lot of time to learn how to shoot accurately. I tried to insure my method didn't change, but I saw nothing to encourage me. My shooting partner that day is ex-Romanian army and he couldn't do much better with the rifle. He did have one bull, but had more complete misses.

I don't care for my results, but I like this rifle very much. As a left-hander, I felt I might have some problems with a bolt, but the straight pull makes it very easy to use lefty. I just reached over and it easily pulled back and pushed forward. I believe that I should probably spend some time with my .22 Henry next time to learn and polish correct rifle shooting techniques. I also think that I should start looking for a .22 handgun for pistol practice. I'm partial to the look and feel of the Buckmark Camper, but a supervisor at work has a Ruger Single Six he might be willing to sell. The large caliber weapons are fun to shoot, but costly. My previous report on my Makarov experience cost me $24 in ammo, and the time spent shooting the .357 cost me $16/100 of .38 Special. $40 for three hours shooting. That wouldn't have even been half a box of .22 ammo at approximately $10. I tend to agree with Kim Du Toit, start with a .22, then move up to bigger calibers.