Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Oh, That's A Heartbreaker....

I've waited and waited to purchase something that appealed to me. Finally achieved the objective. The item in question is beautiful, absolutely beautiful. I reveled in the workmanship, the elegance, and the history of said item. I took it apart to clean as best I could - all the heavy work will be done by someone else - and spent at least an hour on the project. Each piece I felt comfortable working on was given the attention it deserved.

Then this:


A gash, a horrible gash! Would it be a gash of doom? I posted on a few forums to ask those more knowledgeable than me and it seemed that the best course of action would be to contact the seller. I fired off an e-mail along with the picture and received a reply. The seller can't be sure from the picture, but I should send it back and have the experts look at it.

That, then, I'll do. If it's possible to ground off the separation and reuse the part, that's what'd I would prefer. I would grudgingly accept a new part, but that wouldn't be quite the same, especially if the date of manufacture is too far away from the rest of the item. Anyway, we'll see. Off to the Post Office!