Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Verdict: Marginal

Well, took the Mark I to a reputable gunsmith and was told the headspacing on the replacement bolt was marginal. The Remington replacement closed on all his gauges, go, no go, and field. He tried one of his '03 bolts and it closed on all but the field. The Smith said go ahead and shoot it, but the best thing to do would be load your own. It needs to be necked down 1/8 of an inch.

Great, now I've got to get into reloading or take a chance on splitting cases and possibly damaging the gun. I'm not sure if it would be better to shoot factory loads or go with milsurp. It would be interesting to know what powder loads the milsurp Greek HXP and the Lake City ammo available from the CMP are compared to off the shelf new Winchester and Remington.

Fortunately for me someone at work used to reload and has some spare equipment laying around. I might get a deal on them. I see a long and ever widening road ahead if I go down the reloading trail. Start with ought six for my Springer and Savage, then make my own 38s for the S&W, stumble across some dies for the Swiss, make my own Makarov loads, then become so consumed by the roll your own that I'll even load 22s!

Cost, time, and lack of workspace may save me from this affliction. Although I do believe that reloading is cost effective and fun for many, I'm still not sure whether to get into it myself. But, I'm open to trying it someday.

Tagged As: