Monday, November 06, 2006

Mmmm...Another Pointy!

What's the use of having a battle rifle without a bayo? With the correct bayonet, you complete the circle. You have your total package, a long range and a short range tool of freedom.

I checked out the price of bayonets for the '03 Springfield at the last gun show in town and suffered sticker shock. Over $200 for the correct model for the venerable M1903. That's a bit more than I wanted to pay and I decided to check out other sources. I did find one for around $100 without a scabbard. I purchased it from the buyer.









At first glance a bit of rust and a sticky release were the only things I could see that needed some care. I took some mineral spirits to the handle and it cleaned up rather well. It did help me notice that at least one of the grips was a replacement.

As you can see on the top grip, the cutout is done poorly, it's obviously a hand tool job. Also, the grain doesn't match the lower grip. They do fit together well and I think the outside work was at least done by a skilled hand. The inside probably wasn't as much of a concern as it would hardly be seen. I'm not going to complain about the replacement as the rifle itself has many WWII replacement parts on it anyway.















Once I removed the grips the rust inside showed itself. It wasn't really much and I removed it easily with a mineral spirit wash and some 0000 steel wool. The release was full of cosmoline and once it was removed it worked flawlessly.












Even though the bayonet and rifle dates don't match I'm happy with the end result.












I'm happy, but I'm sure there are others who won't be as happy if they find themselves on the business end....






Tagged As: