Saturday, February 28, 2009

Across The Street

I recently arrived home from a night's work and a helicopter started circling above. I took a look outside and when I saw it was a police chopper buzzing the neighborhood, I did what I always do, break out a pistol just in case a bad guy is loose in the area. I slipped my Colt Hammerless in my pocket and two mags and scouted around from the yard. A fire engine and ambulance drove down my street and stopped at the court. I noticed they just stopped and didn't get out of their vehicles. At that point I went into the backyard and peered over the wall to the streets behind. First a few cruisers entered the cul de sac across the street, then more, then even more.







































After seeing quite a few officers on the scene, I decided to skip exchanging the Colt for the Mak and broke out the Garand and Carbine instead. I didn't want to get caught in a firefight like the LA bank robbery and have some thugs running around the neighborhood shooting while the cops vainly tried to fight with shotguns and pistols. I was ready for whatever happened, even if it meant just handing my rifles to a police officer to put down the bad guys. Once I saw that the officers began putting on armor, I knew at least that wouldn't happen.



















































Once they were in position, they rolled into the cul de sac.





A few minutes later we were told by the officers to go back into our houses or leave the area as they were going in. We exited the area and just tried to see from the fence on the side yard. Nothing happened for a while then a flash bang grenade went off. The police called into the house demanding the suspect surrender and release his hostages. Nothing was heard for a while, then we could see from the back windows that some SWAT snipers were throwing rocks at an upper window of the house in question, probably to distract the person holed up inside.



Nothing.

And more nothing.

After at least thirty minutes had passed, we began to see police officers heading away from the house back to their units, some were already removing their body armor and helmets.














Once the CSI truck appeared, we knew whatever happened was over. No sounds, no gun battles, just silence.


























I caught this video of a local news channel recording a spot for the afternoon news.



It appears that the perpetrator had already killed his wife and himself before police surrounded the house. More coverage here.

2 comments:

DirtCrashr said...

Yikes! A couple-three+ years ago, down the street and around the corner at a nice house, an angry laid-off co-founder guy walked up to the front door and when she answered killed his former boss-lady...

ScottG said...

I wouldn't be surprised to see many more incidents if the Criminal in Chief continues to destroy our economy. It appears the perp was on the run from a murder and attempted murder charge though. There was an eight month old baby at the scene. He let the woman put the baby outside for the police to retrieve then shot at them when they came for it. They backed out and called in SWAT, but I guess right after he shot the police officer he finished the job himself. At least there was no danger to the surrounding houses.

Second time I've broken out the hardware.

It was funny, but I didn't feel any fear or apprehension. Probably because I felt the police had the situation in hand.